We are Jersey girls, and although our state is the source of several sources of pride (we give the best manicures in the world and produce the best drivers on the East Coast), we are also exceptionally proud of our diner prowess. Whether late at night, in the harsh light of morning or any time in between, (see #10), see our nostalgia filled tips for how to recognize the traits of a true, real deal, Pants- approved diner. We will leave the drive-ins and dives to that knucklehead Guy Fieri…
1. As soon as you enter, you can spot some sort of dessert display case. These may rotate or stand still, but they should always feature Sprinkle Cookies.
2. The average age of patrons and staff hovers around 70.
3. Your waitress has an accent.
4. The menu is gigantic, and features a large variety of cuisines, most notably Greek and Italian (bonus points for a “Pasta Corner”), and some Mexican sprinkled in.
5. The menu also features the 3-4 items more than once, for different meals or “Daily Specials”.
6. You must pay at the register at the front.
7. There is some sort of mint to be taken on the way out. Bonus points for any sort of old-time game or machine that involves putting a quarter in and turning…
8. You sit in a booth bigger than the front seat of a Chevy, even when there are just two of you.
9. Creamy Italian is a salad dressing choice.
10. Open 24/7 baby.